Manchester United were unable to defeat Swiss side FC Basel 1893 when the two teams met in a UEFA Champions League encounter which ended in a 3-3 draw. Former marksman for Sunderland Danny Welbeck scored a brace for the Red Devils during the match’s first-half but 3 goals from Swiss striker Alexander Frei were enough to hold the top EPL team back from winning a first match in their Group C of this year’s UEFA Champions League competition. It was a last-minute goal from former Aston Villa F.C. player Ashley Young who saved Manchester United from an embarrassment at Old Trafford in England.
Currently, Manchester United have 4 remaining games to play against the three sides accompanying them in Group C. United are still expected to play against FC Oțelul Galați and Benfica as well. Group C standings are pretty tight as Benfica and Basel share 4 points. Manchester’s 2 points have placed the team at the 3rd spot but if Sir Alex Ferguson can get his players in shape, they will qualify for the next round.
Match stats from UEFA
- Inter Milan, Manchester United, Barcelona & Schalke Win But SV Werder Bremen Draw
- AC Milan Held by Real Madrid But Chelsea Beat Spartak Moscow
- Arsenal, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich & Basel Win But A.S. Roma Fall
- Everton and Tottenham Hotspur Win But Manchester Draw
- United Fail to Beat Valencia in Their UEFA Champions League Encounter